Step 2: Eliminate the Urine Stain and Odor
- To clean up small spots, mineral spirits are generally safe to use on hardwood floors, although they may leave a residue on the surface.
- Citrus oil-based cleaners are preferable to mineral spirits and are best used to clean areas that are not exposed to sunlight.
How do you get dog urine out of hardwood floors?
Mix one cup of vinegar into a warm water-filled bucket and the add some drops of grapefruit oil to the solution to get rid of the odor. Scrub the floor with this safe cleaning solution, concentrating on the most prominent spots. As you scrub, the odor and stains should be disappearing.
How do you get dog urine out of unsealed hardwood floors?
- Combine equal parts warm water and vinegar in a spray bottle.
- Wipe the vinegar away with a damp cloth.
- Use a towel to dry the floor and prevent water spots.
- Sprinkle baking soda liberally over the area. Allow it to sit on the area and absorb odors for an hour. Use a broom to sweep away the baking soda.
- Visit your veterinarian to rule out medical issues.
- Spay or neuter your dog.
- Train (or retrain) your dog using simple techniques outlined here.
- Give them lots of outside potty breaks.
- Identify and eliminate their triggers.
- Clean up messes properly with an enzyme cleaner.
- Pour 1 cup of water and 1 cup of hydrogen peroxide in a large bowl. …
- Test a small area of your wood floor to make sure your homemade urine odor remover will not affect the color of the floor. …
- Soak a rag in the solution, and use it to wipe the entire area of the wooden floor where there was urine.
What takes urine smell out of hardwood floors?
Pour the hydrogen peroxide over the stain and then cover it with a clean cloth soaked in hydrogen peroxide. Cover the cloth with plastic wrap, weighting it with a book if necessary. Allow this to sit overnight or for at least 8 hours. The hydrogen peroxide should remove any stains and eliminate the urine odor.
What do you use if your dog peed on the floor to clean it up?
Mix a one-to-one solution of white vinegar and water. Using a sponge, rub the solution onto the stain. Let it sit for 5-to-10 minutes, and then wipe it up with a clean, dry towel. Some experts advise using a more diluted formulation of 1/2-cup vinegar to one gallon of warm water.
Can dog urine ruin hardwood floors?
Untreated accidents lead to urine stains, discoloration, and odors that are extremely difficult to remove. Urine can permanently damage your hardwood floors’ polyurethane coating and lead to expensive repairs for homeowners and loss of pet deposits for renters.
Will hydrogen peroxide damage wood floors?
Hydrogen Peroxide easily disintegrates the staining compounds and pulls them out while drying the floor in the process. Hydrogen Peroxide also has a bleaching effect on wood.
What can I use to stop my dog from peeing in the house?
How to Stop Your Dog from Peeing in the House